WOULD YOU LOVE BETTER ENERGY LEVELS EVERY DAY?
What is ENERGY? According to the physics definition:
Energy is the capacity to do work.
We go into our jobs in our 20's full of energy, drive and good health. But as we progress in our career, do we GIVE UP our health in order to build our career and wealth? As a person progresses in their career, going up the ladder, sometimes our health goes down the ladder at the other side. We are valued at work by the number of hours we put in, the more is demanded, the more hours we put in. We need to value rest and relaxation for increased productivity, as much as we do hard graft. By the time we reach our 40's and 50's we start to see the negative effects on our health from not looking after ourselves and not making the time for rest and relaxation. With stress related conditions of exhaustion, depression , obesity, stomach ulcers, sleep problems and many chronic conditions such as diabetes, high blood pressure to name but a few. There needs to be a change in mindset regarding how we value breaks and recovery of our energy levels,the effect it has on our production, and the value it will bring to our longterm health and vitality.
We need to take personal responsibility for our own health, just like we do in setting career goals, we need to simultaneously set goals for our health. WHERE DO YOU WANT TO BE WITH YOUR HEALTH IN 6 MONTHS, 5 YEARS, 10 YEARS TIME? We need to prioritise it as we would our career goals.
As we get older our energy levels decrease, but the demand in our lives increases. Our energy levels actually decrease when we reach the age of 30. This is the time in our lives when demand increases with family, work demands, financial stress, elderly parents etc.
If we are to keep going at the rate we are expected to or we keep pushing ourselves to reach these demands we will eventually reach burnout and will be no use to anyone, employers or loved ones!
When our energy levels are low, we are tired, less motivated, less spritely, and find it difficult to focus on one thing at a time. We need to tune into our bodies and take time out for rest and relaxation.
According to Tony Swartze and The Energy Project Team.
We need to manage our energy, not just our time.
Our energy is made up of 4 different components : Physical, Mental, Emotional and Energy of the human spirit.
Research carried out on how to get more out of your day by managing your energy, not just your time:
As time has only 24 hours a day, it can run out, but our energy can by restored and renewed.
Firstly, we look at our PHYSICAL ENERGY, this is the foundation on which everything rests. This is achieved through;
1. 7-8 hours sleep per night.
2. Eating a healthy balanced diet.
3. Drinking 2 litres+ water per day.
4. Movement into your day. 30min per day minimum.
Look after your body, listen to it. Only when we are in tune with our bodies that we pick up the little NUDGES it gives you that something isn't right.
Then we have our MENTAL ENERGY, what we are focusing on, we are most effective when we focus on one thing at a time.The goal here is to work for 90 minutes with full concentration on one task, and then take a break to restore energy levels. Continue to work like this throughout the day. In the technology world today we are on our screens 24/7 and moving from one thing to another. We need to have clear boundaries on OUR TIME.
1. Take technology breaks throughout the day.
2. Leave your phone at the desk and go for a walk.
3. Monitor all your screen time, tv included.
4. Create a technology free bedroom.
5. Take the first hour after work focused on people/family, not technology.
Emotional energy, this is how you feel. If you are not fuelling yourself with the right emotions, what are the consequences?
If you are continuously in the stress zone with heightened cortisol and adrenalin hormone levels without taking time for rest and renewal, this can lead to exhaustion, depression, sadness and emptiness and many negative physical health conditions
1. Monitor your thoughts- your thoughts fuel your emotions.
2. Change your reaction if you can't change the situation.
3. Surround yourself with encouraging and uplifting people.
4. Delegate or ask for the help you need.
5. Practice mindfulness.
6. Express how you feel to a trusted friend.
When our home/work environment is negative, this can have a negative impact on our focus, concentration and energy throughout the day and our emotional well being.
Lastly, ENERGY OF THE HUMAN SPIRIT, this is your life purpose. Has your life got meaning? Are you living your life in line with your values? When we are enjoying what we do and who we spend time with is highly important to filling up these vital energy resources. If you say you value time for fun and relaxation with friends and family. Are you making the time for it? Are you taking the time for it?
TIPS ON INCREASING YOUR ENERGY ON A DAILY BASIS.
1. AIM FOR 7-8 HOURS SLEEP PER NIGHT
2. EAT NUTRITIOUS, NON PROCESSED whole FOODS, aim to incorporate a colourful diet that will fuel your body with vitamins and minerals, eat every 3-4 hours, small portions with a protein source each time.
3. Drink 2 litres of water throughout the day, monitor your urine(dark need more water-pale to clear you are sufficiently hydrated)
When you find yourself experiencing the mid afternoon slump, listen to your body and give it water, fresh fruit, a brisk walk, time away from work instead of reaching for the coffee and high sugar snack that what will drain whats left of your energy.
4.Spend the first 90 minutes of you day concentrating on one task then take a break.(your break may be just 20 seconds of deep breathing)
5. Set boundaries into your day, for example, when you first look at emails, phone etc. and when you last answer an email in the evening. After work focus on your family or friends and bring fun into your life.
6. Consciously build movement into your day.
7. Consciously build in deep breathing pauses into your day.
7. Do something that lifts your spirits, try something new.
7. Volunteer your services.
8. Praise someone for a job well done
9. Count your blessings and be grateful everyday.
If you are experiencing stress in your life from increasing demands of work, family or life in general, and it is taking its toll on your health or energy levels, or if you need help to manage a chronic condition or stress induced condition,
Please contact me to help you get back to the life you desire and deserve.
Free 30 minute phone consultation to see if I am the right fit for you.